Jedi Phoenix

New PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lu76 Just to save a few dollars. That was my old CPU. It's certainly not the best, but it's a nifty little thing for the price. The only thing that would really be holding you back with gaming is the video card. I think Gawtheh uses a 550 Ti, you could ask him about his performance with it. Otherwise you might be able to compromise for a better one on the ATi side, for a reasonable price.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

http://www.hwcompare.com/

Some handy sites for a quick comparison between hardware.

Since you asked me about it on Xfire and I won't be on there for a few days... No, you don't technically need to buy an OS. ;)

I would stick with Intel CPUs and Gigabyte motherboards. Industry standard, rock solid & reliable. If you ever wanted to dual boot your PC into a Hackintosh, Intel and Gigabyte is the way to go. I just stay with what I know.

For the motherboard, it was really a toss-up between Asus and Gigabyte since both seem like leaders in the mobo department. I will say that gigabyte does seem to be a bit farther ahead in the customer satisfaction department, so I may end up taking your advice and switching to a Gigabyte motherboard.

For the CPU, I love Intel to death. But the price tag that comes with a brand with that kind of reputation scares me away. So I decided on AMD purely for pricing reasons. They seem to provide more bang for the buck. I'm trying to spend like $700-800 max on this pc just based on the money I have now, the money I'll have once I sell my current computer , and the money I'm getting from my job. I will be doing more research on the CPU and GFX card though, since those are obviously important.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lu76 Just to save a few dollars. That was my old CPU. It's certainly not the best, but it's a nifty little thing for the price. The only thing that would really be holding you back with gaming is the video card. I think Gawtheh uses a 550 Ti, you could ask him about his performance with it. Otherwise you might be able to compromise for a better one on the ATi side, for a reasonable price.

Oh shit I didn't know you had personal experience with this CPU! So you didn't like it? Are you used to a lot of power?

And it seems like you only changed the motherboard and my optical drive. The optical drive I could give less of a shit about as long as it works y'know, but the motherboard I might go with Hardy's thoughts about brand name. I've read too many reviews with people having such huge issues with motherboards where I really don't want to be put in that position where I'm going through newegg returns with everything else setup and ready lol. I know mobo issues can happen to anyone, but I feel like going with a reputable brand just lowers the chance shit will happen to me.

Since you asked me about it on Xfire and I won't be on there for a few days... No, you don't technically need to buy an OS. ;)

Haha you will have to show me how this is done since all my previous computers came with an OS installed.

Gothic: Any thoughts on the 550 Ti?

Oh shit I didn't know you had personal experience with this CPU! So you didn't like it? Are you used to a lot of power?

And it seems like you only changed the motherboard and my optical drive. The optical drive I could give less of a shit about as long as it works y'know, but the motherboard I might go with Hardy's thoughts about brand name. I've read too many reviews with people having such huge issues with motherboards where I really don't want to be put in that position where I'm going through newegg returns with everything else setup and ready lol. I know mobo issues can happen to anyone, but I feel like going with a reputable brand just lowers the chance shit will happen to me.

I liked it, it's a really good CPU. It's just not an i5/i7. Modern CPUs are going to be good enough not to be a significant bottleneck for gaming. Even with i5s, they're only going to amount for around ~15 FPS difference. That's not worth the extra cost when you're on a budget already.

Like I said on Xfire, as long as you go with one of the top/more well known names in motherboards, you're not going to really go wrong with it. Just look into reviews and warranty policies.

OS wise you'll need a USB flash drive, or some blank DVDs to burn to, and an internet connection to download an ISO. Talk to me closer to buying it and I'll walk you through it. :p

After many hours staring at my computer doing research...this is what results...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lCPu

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU/Processor: I actually surprised myself and switched over from the AMD Phenom II X4 965 to the AMD FX-6100:

http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

This new processor is 20 bucks more expensive, but has much better benchmark results, 2 more cores, and better overclock performance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics Card: I decided on the the GTX 560: http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

Based on GPU benchmarks, it performed just as well as the 560 Ti that I was initially eyeing but for $80 cheaper and is less of a power eater. The only downside is the lack of reviews and ratings it has; at this point it almost seems like a somewhat unknown card.

CPU Cooler: I also thought about it more, and I basically came to the conclusion that I shouldn't wait to get a cooler. So I settled on the Hyper 212 Evo:

http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

It's cheaper than the H60/H100 (doesn't use water too...) and it seems to work just as well. After much thinking, I figured that if I'm getting an unlocked CPU, I'd really be wasting money by not overclocking it. I was going for the 212 Plus (versus the Evo) but compatibility with my CPU came into play. As a side note: I do trust Corsair and their liquid cooling products, but I would just rather avoid being put into that type of situation.

Last Question(s): Computer case size? I feel like I should be fine with an ATX Mid Tower, but I read one review of someone who used the Hyper 212 Evo for CPU cooling and said that it would not fit in his Mid Tower. If anyone can help me out in this department that would be great. I'd rather buy a cheaper Mid Tower than waste money on a full, more bulky tower that's just going to be taking up space. But if I truly need the full for my Evo, I'll go for it.

I'm also new to overclocking, so I'm unsure if I need a higher wattage power supply to account for that?

Thanks again for the feedback as usual guys.

I think you should get a full sized case if you are worried about the cooler. I use the Centurion 5 cases from Coolermaster. They are decent looking and one of the few mid cases that have the HDDs running sideways so that you don't have to pull the whole tower out to change them.

I can't offer any much advice on overclocking since I don't do it. Its not worth the hassle and reduced life for the sake of a few hundred MHz. You will definitely need that better cooling fan over the standard factory one.

Yeah my friend recommended I get a full sized case too. He had the Hyper 212 Plus and he said it came within an inch of the side of his case.

Damn! The black version of that Centurion 5 with the side panel looks realllllly sexy and sleek. And it's only like $71 dollars! My only concern is my friend's case width was 9 inches. This case is 8 inches. I'm just afraid my CPU cooler wouldn't fit in there =( Any thoughts on that? How I could get a better idea accounting for mobo, CPU, and the cooler? I'm almost like dead set on this case if it's possible.

I guess it makes sense that overclocking would produce more wear and tear on the system simply because you're running it harder. Kind of like a car. Do you actually personally notice people who do OC that have their systems for much less of a period of time than is normal? Are they just bad at OC'ing?

I typically don't have the side panel on anyway but that 212 is 12cm (4.72") thick all up and the width of the 5 case is 20cm (8"). Allow 2cm for the mounting chassis and you are left with 6cm (2.36") for the CPU/MB. Also, it doesn't come with a power supply so you would have to get that separately as per your original plan.

I don't know anyone who overclocks but according to Wiki my assumption is correct in the disadvantages. Voids the warranty and you are on your own if it fails.

Case: That might just fit. I guess I'll think about it possibly trying it out.

OC'ing: I think I'm still gonna go for it. If I find that the stock clock speed on my processor is more than enough than I'll just use the stock speeds and use the 212 Evo just for extra cooling which can't hurt at all.

CPU: Gonna jump back to the CPU debate if that's ok haha...benchmarks like these are like the ultimate test of a CPU's performance right?

http://www.cpubenchm...Six-Core&id=257

Because I essentially picked my processor based on multiple benchmark charts and basically went from the top down until I found a processor for a price within my budget (allocating ~120 max for the CPU).

I also read that AMD uses some sort of "virtual core technology" for their processors...would this be bad for gaming? Right now I'm running on an i5-760 @ 2.8 Ghz. It's an ancient computer (~5 years old) with only 4GB RAM and a HDD that's like slowly dying, so I know I'm asking a lot from it, but it's still slow as shit. Would this FX-6100 blow it out of the water you think?

I'm pretty dead set on everything else (except for the case of course). And I guess if I choose to switch CPUs, my mobo + cooler would obviously change with it, but nothing major.

Right now I'm running on an i5-760 @ 2.8 Ghz. It's an ancient computer (~5 years old) with only 4GB RAM and a HDD that's like slowly dying, so I know I'm asking a lot from it, but it's still slow as shit. Would this FX-6100 blow it out of the water you think?

Yes but keep in mind your other hardware and software fragmentation is most likely dragging that i5 down because it is a very decent CPU. That AMD has very good reviews so I can't see a problem with it, especially at that price. I think you've got a solid build, just decide on the case already!

I think by that he means that as far as your current computer goes, the CPU you have now (i5-760) isn't bad. It's just all your other hardware that is bottlenecking its performance. DDR2 RAM rather than DDR3 and your video card, for instance. It just kinda goes back to what I mentioned in an earlier post:

Modern CPUs are going to be good enough not to be a significant bottleneck for gaming.

Antec power supply... Gross. Stock CPU cooler... Gross. Never go cheap on the power supply, and I guess the CPU cooler you can live without so long as you aren't expecting really cool temps, and aren't expecting to overclock over 3.6 (limit is still 3.9 on non-unlocked intel CPU's as far as I know).

Intel has actually been pretty awful with their stock coolers. They did a fantastic job on the extreme edition coolers, but their basic stock coolers are almost as bad as AMD's stock coolers.

Personally, I wanted Corsair for my PSU. I think this just worked out for pricing. I might see what deals I can find around Cyber Monday though, who knows.

Really? Even Intel is bad with their stock coolers? What has the world come to... because if the temps are as bad as you say they are, even without overclocking, then I'll have to upgrade to a full case and slap on that Hyper 212 Plus. I wanted to do this originally, but after upgrading my CPU and GFX card, I really didn't have too much money to spare.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mb5o

I decided I'm gonna see what my temps are like when I run it. If it gets too hot then I'll just buy a fan. But I don't see enough of a reason to get one just from this standpoint.

I also switched to an XFX PSU. They seem like a reputable brand in terms of PSUs and this particular model got great reviews.

And I switched to an ATX board that's much more future-proof with more features and...most importantly...2 SATA 6GB/s ports lol

Archived