Jedi Phoenix

PC: Star Citizen / Squadron 42 - Space Simulator (upcoming)

Theos Sairin

Website here:
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

Trailer here:

Overview:

Not much has been said about this yet, though from what I've gathered it is an upcoming PC game to be released in 2 years time, and built on the CryEngine 3 (same engine as Crysis 2). Space simulator's are a hugely underrated genre of game, but this looks to be huge. The developer wants to go toe-to-toe with the AAA games out there, and prove that PC is still the best format for games out there. It's made for the, as they say, "core" gamers rather than casual gamers. The developers have said they are planning on releasing the game as a pay-once format. It will not be subscription or pay-to-play, but instead once you buy the game you can go play it online "forever".

It's a shame we have to wait 2 years until it will come out, and I hope they don't decide later to be money grabbing bastards who either make it subscription or make you pay for the good stuff in-game... But here is to hoping!

Well, space sims can be interesting experiences on PC. Lots of current gen games don't use a lot of keys from the keyboard, "dumbing" it down and making it more accessible to anyone, and that's a good thing. I remember getting back to the Thief games after years, and I had to re-learn the controls. For a first-person looter, that's crazy.

But space sims are different, and for one, I was glad that Freespace used a plethora of different buttons and combinations for command. Why, it was not easy to remember all of them, but the game made you practice it just enough for you to remember it when it's needed. The whole thing gave me the feeling that I wasn't using a mouse and a keyboard at all, but I was operating on the console of my spaceship... Kinda like make-believe, but it was awesome.

I just hope this one will be the same.

I pledged/pre-ordered for my 300i ship back in October :> Waiting to get my citizenship card. Can't wait till this game finally comes out!

To add more though the man behind this is the same guy behind Wing Commander, Freelancer/Starlancer, and other space sim greats from the good ol' days. There will be a subscription, to fund it's continuing development. It's awesome that they've raised 7.2 million dollars to support this project, and I hope my 60$ of it (as well as the rest) don't go to waste. They also won the 2012 player's choice awards for Rising Star at MMORPG.com! It's a shame we can't post the video on the home-page here, because it covers so much. They put a LOT of detail into the ship designs and physics, even scaling. Go the the link theos posted above, watch videos, read stuff, get the game.

"You don't have time to think man! If you think, you're dead!" - Loggins, Borderlands 2.

Archived