Jedi Phoenix

Announcing: The |JP| Ladder Tournament (Updated! Read, please!)

Johnnydillinger

Here's the initial jibber-jabber if you missed it:

Allrighty, here's something that might suit some people's fancy. We've had another kind of ladder years ago, I think on the old forum, and it was pretty interesting until there was interest in it. That's why we're repeating it again, this time with a slight bit of difference.

What is this? How does it work?

It's a ladder tournament, where we'll see which players from all participants are the best in JKA. First, a randomized list is made which will make sure that you'll not like your then-current position on it. Then, you may challenge either the person above you on the list, or the person above that person for advancement. The challenge will go on with 5 duels: 1 with dual sabers, 1 with staff, 1 with single saber (Style is chosen by the player in the higher position), 1 with single again (this time freestyle), and one free-for-all duel with whatever you have and like. The one who wins most duels obviously advances, while if the defender wins, he keeps his place.

In case someone fails to advance, a whole set of 2 days must pass before he/she can challenge said person again. If someone challenges you, and you don't answer it within 2 days however, the challenger "wins" your place over and you'll have to get it back, so a minimum amount of forum activity is required. Server-wise I wouldn't put such requirements as of yet, but I'll see about it in case some of these get drawn out because of it.

The challenging process goes like this: you can challenge your opponent here on the forum in the scoreboard thread (I recommend every participant to follow it thouroughly), and then you discuss a time where you can meet on the server and get on with it. Also, you can spontaneously ask a person for a challenge on the server to speed things up. Then when the duels are over, you post a screenshot of the scores you two have (you might want to reconnect/go to spec for a clean score before the duels), and according to that you either win your place or your opponent defends it. Once the duels slowly die out and everyone finds his or her way on the ladder, the list of this ladder finalizes and goes to a special hall of fame, alongside with the rewards won by the first few people and even every participant.

Oh, that's right, there are rewards. I talked to Exo, and he agreed to make banners that you can put in your signatures. You can acquire these by being in a high division (such as one of the first 10 or 5 players, or players between 10 and 15, etc.) or by being either of the first three, but every participant will get a complimentary "Participant" banner. Aside from the banners, players are allowed and encouraged to put coloured asterisks after their names (example: the division of the top 10 to top 15 are the "red asterisks", while the 5 after them are the "purple asterisks", etc.), or if you are of the first 3, then a small number after your name describing which place you acquired. This is something we used in the old ladder tourney as well. Of course, it is not necessary to wear these asterisks, although to be fair, it is not allowed to state you're the #1 when you're either low on the list or not there at all. Of course, you're not breaking any server rules with it, but if you are on the list and you misuse them, you'll be disqualified; others who just use them for trolling and are not on the list should be promptly ignored and that's it.

The ladder's rules are not rock-solid as of yet, and shall I say, they're in an "alpha build". Opinions, requests and feedback on it are welcomed and most of this is subject to change if the majority wishes it, or it makes more sense than what I just stated up here. The "beta phase" will start early January next year, and it will be the all about massively getting the list somewhat sorted. For one or two days, everyone will be able to challenge anyone on the list, and if they win, they swap places. Then it will be only the 2 persons above you, which is the "'final build" of this competition.

For now, however, I'll ask for your subscription for it to see how much interest would be in such a thing, and most of all, your ideas and opinions about it. So, fire away with your questions, ideas and subscriptions!

P.S. to make it clear, this event is an open competition. All JPs, our regulars and basically anyone else is welcome to participate and play.

Sooooo, since there aren't too many oppositions to the rules stated up there, I'll post the first draft of them here (suggested changes included); I hope it's much more easy to see through.

Rules:

- The Ladder ranks the participants based on their skill in sabering.

- Everyone can take part in the ladder competition, wether JP, some other clan or just plain old regular member.

- Subscribe to the competition by posting in the current topic for now.

- You can sign up for the ladder even after it started. There, you'll have the exclusive right to challenge 2 people of your choice from the list. If you beat one (or both) of them, you gain a place above them. If you don't, you'll be the last on the list, so be careful who you choose! If you sign up for it later on, please do it in the leaderboards thread.

- For those who are already on the list: to increase your rank on the ladder, you'll have to challenge the person above you, or the person above that person.

- Challenges can be done here on the forum in a future thread with the leaderboards, in the game, or in whatever form you desire that can be done immediately (Xfire, Steam, Xbox...)

- If someone challenges you on the forum, you'll have to at least answer to it within 5 days. If you don't, the challenger "wins", and you trade places.

- The challenge goes like this: 5 duels; 1 staff vs. staff, 1 duals vs. duals, 1 single style as pointed out by the challenged one (the one higher on the ladder) (e.g. red vs. red, or blue vs. blue), 1 freestyle single saber duel (all single styles go), 1 free for all duel (all saber styles go here).

- The challenge must be done with both of you having 0/0 score in the beginning, and then posting the resulting scores on the leaderboards thread. When you don't have the screens, you can ask for a third person to vouch for the scores. All 3 persons (the duellers and the "witness") need to confirm the score before it's accepted.

- If you failed to defeat the person above you, you have to wait another 2 days before you're able to challenge him/her again.

- When things calm down, the list will finalize and go to a hall of fame.

- the first 3 places will win their own unique banners that they can use on the forum as a signature. The rest of the participants will be divided into divisions and recieve their respective banners too. Those who are the last on the list, will recieve a simple "pariticipant" banner too.

- Aside from the banners, you can use a small 1, 2 or 3 after your in-game name to indicate your place on the ladder. Divisions will be represented similarly with coloured asterisks. Divisions and their respective colors are pending at the moment; this will be updated when the first list goes public.

- Misrepresenting your place on the ladder will disqualify you. I'll only give out one warning before removing and banning you from the ladder competition. As usual, honest mistakes or accidents are allright and I won't make a big deal out of them, but obvious dicking around with it will have its consequences.

To add to that, here's how it will start out. I'll make a randomized list first (I will use a randomizer, so no favoritism in there is possible), and you will have the first chance to challenge anyone from the list that you wish, regardless of their place on the ladder. Choose carefully, because you can only do this 3 times. If you beat the said person, you will earn the rank above theirs. If you don't, you'll stay where you are. During the initial challenges, you can't challenge the same person twice. This is a one-off thing for those who start this competition, and will not happen again. A similar thing is implemented for those who would like to join in the competition after it started, but it's different. Check the rules for details.

And now, let's see the list of entrants so far:

Theos Sairin

Hunter

Solitaire

Bob

D4rk3lement

Voltron

Jenna

Zero

TheGreenFairy

Memphis Peeps

Aegaeon

Fasttea

I wasn't sure about your post Scorch, but please confirm if you want to participate in it so that I can include you on the list. Similarly, if you see yourself on the list and don't want to participate, give me a heads up here so that I can remove you. That being said, the list is rather thin so far, but if it stays like this, we'll do it the small way :p So, if you didn't post yet or just read it for the first time, please subscribe here for a place. The initial subscriptions are open for slightly more than a week; then we'll start sorting the first shape of the list, as stated above. As for prizes, I'd be more happy to have them come into action after the initial sortings with the 3 challenges and stuff.

TL;DR rules are here (hopefully more organized in the list form), and the list of participants is being constantly updated above. In slightly more than a week, we'll start the competition, so subscribe to it if you want. It is possible to join in after it started though, so if you're short on time when it starts, don't feel left out. Now who else wants to enter?

Bumpy bump. Updated the whole thing. The rules have their first draft up there so feel free to run through them again to see if you're okay with all of it. I added a few more things to it, but it's mostly giving alternatives to situations, so no significant changes et al. The rules are still subject to change if you don't like them, so fire away with your suggestions. That being said, I'd appreciate if we had more participants. I know a lot more of you are active on the server, so please give me a sign if you really want to take part; though if you'd rather not do this then it's okay. Additionally, this is an attempt to give some incentive to some of our less active members to play the game again for a short time; I'd love if some of you signed up for this, since most of you are known for loving the more competitive aspect of the game itself.

Updated with both of ya. Keep the entries coming, and don't worry if you can't make it for the beginning, you can join in midway too! I'll stop spamming this thread though, so from now on I'll just add everyone to the list who requires it as soon as I see the request, without making unnecessary comments >.

EDIT - Oh, right, when do we start? I thought early next week should be good enough. Any objections against a Tuesday?

Archived