Jedi Phoenix

Video card / Computer build

Hey guys! I won somewhere around $2000 worth of computer gear (I think, haha) + a whole bunch of GoPro gear in a videography contest, however I was confused about the video card. I'm not overly tech-savvy, so maybe you guys could help shed some light on it for me. :p

Here's what I won: a Corsair Carlcide 300R Mid-Tower; (b) an lntel@ CorerM i7-3960X Extreme Edition Six-

Core 3.50 GHz 8MB processor with 1SMB lntel@ Smart Cache in the LGA1155 package; © ASUS P8277-V

LX lntel@ 277 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/lRST, Lucid Virtu MVP; (d) 240 GB lntel@ 520 Series SATA-lll

6.0 Gb/s SSD; (e) NVIDIA Quadro NVS450 512 MB 16X PCle Workstation Video Card; (0 Corsair Hydro

Series H60 High-Performance Liquid Cooling Solution; (g) 1TB SATA-lll 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

(Single Drive); (h) 8GB (4GBx8) DDR3I1600MHz Dual-Channel Memory; (i) Microsoft@ Windows 7

Professional {64-bit Edition}; and (i} 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW+CD-R/RW Drive

So the video card would be the NVIDIA Quadro, correct? I don't really understand it, though. When I google it, it seems like it used for setting up up to 4 monitors, but I really don't have much use for that, and it seems like it's worth around $400. Would I be best to sell it (if it's main function is for multiple monitors), and sink some money into a more practical gaming video card? Or would it be decent enough to run games on? I'd love to be able to run some of the newer games on the market with decent settings.

Anything else you guys would recommend adding to this build? Either way, good or bad, I am stoked that I won! I never win anything, haha.

Cheers!

Zab

1) First off: Fuck you.

2) Now that I've gotten that out of the way ^_^ Yes, the NVIDIA Quadro is your video card. It looks like workstation cards (like this one) are meant more for stability rather than demanding performance. There are many cards that can be used to set up multiple monitors, so I wouldn't use that as the deciding factor as to whether or not to buy a card. It's simply an extra option.

Someone else can help clarify, but in my opinion I think you'd be better off selling it and buying a "gaming oriented" video card to grab more performance and FPS rather than stability. And with that 400 dollar price tag that's currently set on it, I'd say you could grab a card (or two) that would definitely satisfy your gaming needs, and then some.

The quadro is meant for work that requires a lot of processing power on the video card's end. Think 3D graphics, or video editing. They're powerful cards, but they're mainly meant for workstations.

Mainly what it focuses on is the CUDA processing power, which is pretty useless for gaming.

Haha, sorry KF

Alright, thank you both. I will probably end up selling it then. I figured it'd be more geared towards video editing as it was a video contest. Oh Supa, I noticed in your siggy it says that you have the corsair h60 liquid cooling -- do you like it?

I like it, but it worries me everytime I leave my computer for prolonged periods of time. Whether or not it will spring a leak. I've repatched all of the areas that could potentially leak, but there's still no gaurantee it won't.

That's just the nature of liquid cooling and computer components.

However it keeps everything about 15c cooler, which is pretty amazing.

Archived