Jedi Phoenix

Firewall insanity

Hey again, seems like I have to ask a wee bit of help, in case anyone got ideas with this case I have here. Yes, AGAIN.

Today I wanted to start Steam, and it got always stuck on the logon screen (connecting to "captainhugecock"'s accout). The process itself didn't freeze, I could move it around, but it wouldn't connect. After searching about it, I deleted everything except the main exe and my steamapps folder. So it asks for my username and password and it's connecting forever. Again. Although this time it's sending me a message about Steam not being able to reach its servers sometimes instead of freezing.

I found out that this was caused by a firewall issue, and this is weird because I never activate the firewall. So I thought maybe it got activated and it's time for me to shut it down. And then I get this:

Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings.

Ah there you are. After finding this, things are narrowed down, it's either because of a Windows application that is so not installed or because of some malware. After like half a day of searching for trojans and malware, Malwarebytes found 2 and AVG found 6 baddies, all cleared them out. Then I followed the steps as shown on this website, and it always bears the same result: a huge pile of not working shit. I also tried the only other mentioned method on like, the whole freaking internet which was adding 2 dlls to the registry,but still no luck.

Seems like whatever I do with my firewall, it's unreachable, and the command line mentioned on the website (the one mentioned in both solutions) just leaves an empty cmd window there, which I can close just fine (it's not frozen). After downloading a service checker from here, and starting to check the firewall setting, it freezes and refuses to move forward.

I ran out of ideas and I'm at my usual lethargic hopeless state regarding this. I don't care about my firewall, but I'd love to be able to play with 70% of my Steam library. The only thing that comes to mind that may or may not be helpful is that after shutting down/restarting the computer, it also hangs on the "Windows is shutting down" screen forever. A chord indicating an error message can be heard right after my desktop is gone but I don't get a message, so no idea what keeps it un-going. Other game clients like Desura are working fine, and I think JA should work fine in multi; on my way to check it out now.

Anyways, all help is greatly appreciated, so if you have an idea then please shoot it away here. Thanks in advance!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920074 You might try method #2. If not that, http://www.bleepingc...nload/combofix/ try that. http://www.nirsoft.n...ent_viewer.html This ought to point you in the direction of your shutdown hang.

Thanks a lot for the fast response. The first solution is something I tried a dozen of times but to no avail; although I might have screwed up something about it so I'll recheck again. The event viewer is way full of bad messages... found out that my security center can't link to the firewall; it says

The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.

There's also a bunch of bad sectors on my disks, though I was aware of them so it's cool I guess... Thanks again, I'll update if I can manage to set something right or not.

UPDATE 1: putting in the command in the first link's second solution leads to nothing visible; it's the one I tried. Although when I change %windir% to the actual windir, it says Installation failed. Not sure if that's alright...

Here's what I could do, but it's a dead end for me again it seems. One more line from the event viewer:

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

and that combofix exe just unzips itself and then exits. Not a single shortcut or anything, I cant even find it in the start menu. I found it in a randomly named folder though, and it's full of .bats and .exes, none of which seem to do actually anything... What exactly was I supposed to do with it?

Even after many restarts, it just unzips and disappears. Quite the street-perv... Anyway, seems like I should also reinstall XP (i.e.refresh it) so I think I'll take a nap and have at it tomorrow again; it's getting late here

Thanks again and I'll update tomorrow if I can manage to do or find out something.

Update - upon trying to "upgrade" my windows the installation got into an infinite loop by restarting the computer at installing the firewall again (I presume...), so I had to install a clean new XP and this problem is gone forever now. Seems like whatever the problem was, it caused all programs that had connected with the firewall to hang; Steam, the service checker, Combofix, even a new firewall installer and the shutdown procedure. Thanks for all the help and tips Sarah,much appreciated :wub:

Archived