Jedi Phoenix

My secret to bunch of models (links now here)

Sakito Sho-Ryu-Ken

I have a few custom models that I think are very well done, but I rarely (very, very rarely) use them. I've come to dislike custom things in the game, be it maps, sabers, skins, w/e.

• Custom sabers are usually beefed up to have an advantage or 2, or done horribly and have disadvantages. Some are longer than normal sabers, do more damage (there are a few that will do 200 damage with a single blue strike) or have increased speed (swinging and/or movement) and some even posses the locked away desann and tavion styles which themselves are overpowered compared to any of the other styles. Others are shorter, or slower, or even be designed with completely ridiculous custom stances or shapes. Some have super high block rates, making it impossible to beat someone if all they do is parry.
  • Then there are swords, and I hate these things. While they're done very well in being realistic, that same trait gives them an advantage by taking away delay times during katas. Where you would be stuck doing a kata with a lightsaber only to be finished off by a DFA, the super realistic sword will bounce off walls and floors knocking you out of the kata just in time to evade and continue kata spamming.
  • Maps are usually rarely made well enough to do more than explore them... once. Other than that no one ever uses custom maps for what they're designed for and in order for them to be used, it has to be put on the server, and then for everyone who goes there to download it. No one downloads maps. Also base maps were created properly, and that's to have no exact purpose other than ground to fight on. There's no training rooms, no dueling rings, no "bars" to "relax" in, because this isn't a role playing game and therefore no need for them.
  • Custom skins are also rarely done well, with most of them being just re-skins, and poor ones at that. Others are horribly done modeling jobs with equally horrible skinning work. Some are even broken, like the scout trooper skin I once had that had no team skins, so if you were skin/red or skin/blue you were completely invisible save for your saber floating around in the air.

This is just my take on custom stuff in jka. I'm not saying cool things haven't been created, they're just rare and most of the time not worth keeping since no one uploads them to servers or downloads them in the first place.

Vic has a point. I usually download custom skins only if they are actually well done. And any custom blade that I get, I will usually just modify it so that it replaces one of the default blades, so that the damage & collision data is set to the standard saber default.

Archived