Jedi Phoenix

League of Legends Grand Finals Starting Now

DarkStrategy

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/10od1b/season_2_world_finals_information_post/

^ Reddit topic with teams, times, and links to the streams offered.

Even if you're not into LoL I suggest checking it out, because it's going to be intense. $1 million first prize, and another mill between 2-4.

Best teams with the best players from around the world facing off.

TSM.

Starcraft is already a sport in Korea. ;P Multitudes of TV channels devoted to nothing but that, even.

Well, this event then has the chance to popularize it worldwide, so it could still be historical I guess.

And Zan, chess and gamind are actually rather similar. Why would the two be so different? Why would the profile of a gamer (a professional one) differ from a chess player? Are you sure it's not just prejudice talking from you?

You should elaborate.
Well, this event then has the chance to popularize it worldwide, so it could still be historical I guess. And Zan, chess and gamind are actually rather similar. Why would the two be so different? Why would the profile of a gamer (a professional one) differ from a chess player? Are you sure it's not just prejudice talking from you?

Well, picture a Grandmaster Chess player. I don't know about you but I see someone in the 30's, pushing 40's perhaps , well educated, you know, a regular man / woman, people who have already a somewhat defined life path for them. Not so much for "ultra hardcore" gamers, since half of them are just kids in school (hopefully) and the other half are excuses of grownups.

BTW with "ultra hardcore" gamers I mean people who literally die while playing WoW 3 days straight or let 3 month old babies die of malnutrition.

And JW, why do you say they are very similar? Just because chess is a game?

Well, picture a Grandmaster Chess player. I don't know about you but I see someone in the 30's, pushing 40's perhaps , well educated, you know, a regular man / woman, people who have already a somewhat defined life path for them. Not so much for "ultra hardcore" gamers, since half of them are just kids in school (hopefully) and the other half are excuses of grownups.

BTW with "ultra hardcore" gamers I mean people who literally die while playing WoW 3 days straight or let 3 month old babies die of malnutrition.

And JW, why do you say they are very similar? Just because chess is a game?

That is a pretty harsh generalization, don't you think? It's not like some people here can be considered hardcore JKA players, and they are more than likely decent and normal (adult) people IRL.

So I should imagine a chess champion as a very serious man in his 30s or 40s? Guess this guy here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Reshevsky is a "fake" champion then, beating grand masters at the age of freaking 8.

And yes, chess, just like videogames, is a game. Nothing too majestic about it to differentiate it from gaming in general; it's just been here for a longer time, and that's it. It's called sport because it's a competitive game in which the most skilled can prevail, given the game's circumstances. Not all videogames can do that, but DOTA-likes are a perfect example. So are turn based strategy games (which, technically, chess is actually) and games like Worms.

It's baffling to see that a gamer, such as you are, can only see this with the stereotypes attached actually.

That is a pretty harsh generalization, don't you think? It's not like some people here can be considered hardcore JKA players, and they are more than likely decent and normal (adult) people IRL.

So I should imagine a chess champion as a very serious man in his 30s or 40s? Guess this guy here: http://en.wikipedia....Sammy_Reshevsky is a "fake" champion then, beating grand masters at the age of freaking 8.

And yes, chess, just like videogames, is a game. Nothing too majestic about it to differentiate it from gaming in general; it's just been here for a longer time, and that's it. It's called sport because it's a competitive game in which the most skilled can prevail, given the game's circumstances. Not all videogames can do that, but DOTA-likes are a perfect example. So are turn based strategy games (which, technically, chess is actually) and games like Worms.

It's baffling to see that a gamer, such as you are, can only see this with the stereotypes attached actually.

Everything he said.

So I should imagine a chess champion as a very serious man in his 30s or 40s? Guess this guy here: http://en.wikipedia....Sammy_Reshevsky is a "fake" champion then, beating grand masters at the age of freaking 8.

This is why I hate giving my opinion, always have to defend it :/.

Not that much, remember that I'm refering myself to the hyphothetical professional ultra hardcore gamer, not the casual or the avid player. I mean people nowadays die playing for free, dropout of school and stuff in part to the addiction of gaming, picture what would happen if you start paying them to do so.

With the shitload of movements plays there are in chess (imagine it's not the same to move piece A first and piece B later than viceversa) it's nothing short of majestic. DOTA-likes are the perfect example of the "most skilled can prevail"? Are we including physicially disabled people here as well? I don't want to be mean, but limited my skill in LoL as it is I believe my Master Yi can beat someone who knows more about the game but only can play with one hand, or with a trackpad, or with dial-up... and so on. I really don't know why chess is considered a sport since the all-time definition of sport is (according to the Oxford dic.):

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

And chess only exerts your mind, not your body.

Just saying, it's a bad idea to make gaming a professional sport. Fine, pay them for special competitions that happen once in a year and only to the winner and stuff, but not to compete every weekend in a league like football or something.

I agree that making gaming a sport would be a bad thing. It wouldn't bring any kind of depth to the gaming genre. In fact I think it would bring more mediocrity into games, and game companies. You're saying though, that a chess player and a gamer aren't the same because a video game can have limiting factors? If it was a sport, it wouldn't be played over the internet, it would be played through a LAN. The factor would be then solely on the players skill. You also say that hardcore gamers are a problem because they're dropping out of school and due to over exertion. These are 2 things completely remedied by making it a professional event. The downside of them dropping out of school is that they would have no future beyond video games, but when video games offer a future it's no longer a problem. People dieing due to the exertion and time spent staring cross eyed at a screen would be coupled by a coach type figure. Someone who would tell them to take a fucking break. It would, in time, become more socially acceptable to devout your life to it, as a soccer player or football player does for his sport.

Russians are gonna win gents :D M5 ftw. Well tbh i hate em i dont have an idea why but they gonna win anyway.

Super sad about

TSM getting 2/0'd by Frost

:

But tbh I think one of the Asian teams has a really good chance at winning, especially since M5 have been said to be in a slump and honestly played their set poorly early-game which is where they're generally at their strongest in team-play.

Super sad about

TSM getting 2/0'd by Frost

:

But tbh I think one of the Asian teams has a really good chance at winning, especially since M5 have been said to be in a slump and honestly played their set poorly early-game which is where they're generally at their strongest in team-play.

Yeah IZ did especially good vs SK gaming and CLG but they lost their chance against M5. Good guys IZ

Lawl interesting what will happen next.

I really doubt they'll do anything - and there's not much they can do without fucking up the championships. I don't think they have the time to rematch and to DQ AF is overkill. I'm a fan of TSM but AF is a strong team and performed really well in both games.

Archived