Jedi Phoenix

The Dark Knight Rises... (SPOILER ALERT)

Typhoon

So here's a short review in my opinion of the film. This is mainly to get the feedback of all the members as well who have seen it. I'll also try to keep it vague for those who haven't seen it. If you haven't seen it then, first point of review:

- Go watch it!

The Dark Knight Rises fulfills the concluding trilogy, aptly entwining both drama and action in a way that is nearly non-existent in most superhero films.

Bruce Wayne played by Christian Bale returns as a reclusive figure, because of the haunted past brought by Harvey Dent's (Two-face) death; which is mourned throughout Gotham City. In layman's terms, things are looking grim for Bruce Wayne, Batman is no longer around to save Gotham from the scum and villainy because he has become a hated figure.

However, a new evil is awaken. Bane, a monstrous beast of a man played by Tom Hardy, calls for Gotham's reckoning and through obtaining plans to a nuclear renewable energy machine, located in a hidden facility under Gotham, he manages to turn it into a nuclear bomb.

Selina Kyle by day, Catwoman by night (Anne Hathaway), Selina is depicted as an anti-hero, a cat burglar with a dark history. Under the cat mask, is a woman who wants a clean slate, no matter what the stakes are. Her interactions with the Batman are both positive and negative.

The characters are amazing, the plot is quite good and the dialogue is intense and very noir at times (especially in Bane's presence).

Also Morgan Freeman's in it, so that just instantly boosts its awesome status...

If you ask me. Well sitting in the cinematheater for like 2 hours and 45 minutes is quiet hard at least for me. About plot characters and stuff, well nothing new here just a decent actionsuperherovsbadguysandwhereagoodguybeatsevilguyintheend. Ofc its only my opinion. :D

If you ask me. Well sitting in the cinematheater for like 2 hours and 45 minutes is quiet hard at least for me. About plot characters and stuff, well nothing new here just a decent actionsuperherovsbadguysandwhereagoodguybeatsevilguyintheend. Ofc its only my opinion. :D

Very true, but the build up to the original Hero always wins plot is brutal. :)

Here's the review I wrote for the film on the other thread:

The timing of the plot was a bit less satisfying for the audience. The beginning character development seems a bit slow compared to the rest of the film. While the introduction of the movie serves to show Bruce Wayne's misplaced direction is understood, this character growth tails off to almost non-existence after the character's very brief climax. Another problem with the film is the introduction of other characters in the film. While Bane's plane-hijacking scene was executed beautifully to emphasize the Bane army's intimacy and loyalty, Miranda Tate and John Blake are ushered in without proper background telling and the masterful introduction that Nolan has created for all major characters so far.

John Blake's "detective" deduction of Batman's identity is probably the downfall of the film. The whole scene screams absurdity, only to be somewhat saved by Blake's little monologue towards the end. Oh, am I supposed to believe an orphan somehow looked at another orphan right into the eyes and go, "Ah-ha! You will be Batman one day because of the vengeance burning in your heart!"?

Also, Bane's overly-complicated plan to takeover or destroy Gotham seems a little forced into the plot. Scenes after scenes, the viewers learn more about Bane's plane that do not explain how the previous scenes fit in Bane's overall plan. Batman's second fight with Bane is a little lacking; in addition, Bane's death is anticlimactic, but it is assumed that was needed to show Batman's weakness in not using guns and Batman's moral victory over Bane. This is not even counting the plot-twist of Miranda Tate that, although her secret identity was an orgasm for all those nerds out there, it really served no purpose to the whole integral plot. But of course, the film would not be the same franchise popularized by the superhero industry without Batman's over-dramatic voice, the typical villain's explaining the whole plot to the hero while Batman lies there doing nothing, and of course Batman's super-healing factor that helps Batman recover from a spine injury and lack of cartilages in unnatural time.

Onward to the good parts of the film, the character of Bane was nicely scripted by Nolan, and superbly acted by Tom Hardy. Nolan managed to wow the viewers with both Bane's inhumanism of intense ruthlessness and Bane's humanism of intense love for Talia. His voice is a bit distracting at first, but the unique distortion grows on you and weirdly matches the mysterious nature of Bane. Finally, the addition of Bane as finally someone more than a physical match to Batman completes Batman's standard villain powerset. Most of the previous villains have been mental-, fear-, chaos-based, but now Batman has to relearn everything he was taught to overcome his bruite opponent.

Catwoman and Alfred are well played of course. Anne Hathaway definitely outperformed the community's expectation of her role as the graceful but also cunning Catwoman. Nolan and Hathaway's take on Catwoman manages to maintain Michelle Pfeiffer's frustration and cleverness, but still creates an original antiheroine who seemingly organically blurs the line between villainy and heroism. The person who truly stole the show for me is without a doubt Alfred. Even with probably the shortest screen time, Michael Craine flawlessly displays Alfred''s affection through sacrifice and his remorse from his betrayal of Bruce Wayne, and audience were drawn into his convincing performance through his small but powerful scenes . Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman did wonderfully as well, and acted the same character standard they achieved in the previous two films. Scarecrow as the judge of the riches and Ra's' cameo are a nice touch, and the revelation of the Lazarus Pit and Batman's rising out of it rejuvenated are also great character development to Batman.

Finally, though many of us thought Bruce Wayne should have physically died, there is no need to physically kill him especially after Batman's death and Bruce Wayne's death already having served as the symbols that Gotham needs and deserves. In the film, Bruce Wayne "dies" in the midst of the savagery of Gotham. The persona of a "billonaire, playboy, philanthropist," to borrow the line from Whedon, "dies" to show the now unnecessary need and the end of the Bruce Wayne identity. Nolan took us through a journey with the birth of the hero, the struggle of the hero, and the redemption of the hero. Batman is the symbol that was needed to get the corrupted cops and individuals out of the system and to inspire the cops and the citizens of Gotham and individuals like John Blake to stop turning against each other and stand up together against fear. Batman "dies" in the explosion after successfully giving all he could to the city, by finishing the donning of the cape that the city finally deserves and needs to inspire the rest of Gotham. The moral of the symbol to the city, especially to John Blake, is that anyone could rise up from the fear that clouded Gotham. John Blake's now new lack of fear walking across the bridge with threats of being shot and the cops' courageously charging the released criminals differentiate from the horrible grip of cowardice and fear on Gotham shown in the first two films before Batman's final symbolic death. However, Nolan's intent on keeping Bruce Wayne's physically alive is obvious as keeping Bruce Wayne alive is consistent with the logic and reasoning of the film in portraying that Batman owes the city no more after giving all he could with the death of his Bruce Wayne and Batman personas that together is not the life of his own, as advocated by Alfred and hoped by Wayne's parents. Thus, he completes the story of the struggle of Bruce Wayne and the heroism of Batman by living the life that he needs and that everyone else so has wanted for him.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Semi, wanna come over to my place and watch the Lord of The Rings: Return of the King Extended edition? we can mutually jerk each other off to Asuka after the movie.

• 3 weeks later...

Why would you do that when Rei is clearly the superior girl?

Mmm its hard to explain but i love Asuka. Her soul and character are very interesting, shes like the perfect gf for me, i wish i could meet her irl, shes amazing. And Rei well im not really a fan of silent type girls so this is it.

PS Falling in love with anime character is a little bit strange dont you think?

Mmm its hard to explain but i love Asuka. Her soul and character are very interesting, shes like the perfect gf for me, i wish i could meet her irl, shes amazing. And Rei well im not really a fan of silent type girls so this is it.

PS Falling in love with anime character is a little bit strange dont you think?

Not from where I come from.One missing dimension shouldn't stop you from loving your waifu.

Archived