Jedi Phoenix

Avengers

Spoilers ahead.

As of today, the much expected Marvel Comics film Avengers has been released world-wide to both high expectations among viewers, and favourable response from industry critics. If you have not been on this planet Earth for the past year full of trailers, viral campaign, and Internet rumors, then please do yourself a favor, and nerd up. Avengers is a hell of a dream you wished it never stopped.

Let's start with the bad. With a slow start and a sudden ending, the whole plot seems too obviously forced, without proper and sufficient timing to smooth out the rough edges of introducing an alien army that was supposed to be all menacing and intimidating. The power of a story's antagonist needs to be built and developed, to guide the audience to perceive and comprehend the realistic threat coming from the heroes' enemy. However, the movie instead presents the audience with barely any scenes to explore or question the enemies' reasons behind their motives. The Avengers lack the feeling that leaves viewers go, "Ah! That is truly one sick evil villain."

Moreover, some of the dialogues are just poor-transitioned, awful and cheesy one-liners. Many scenes are pointless, un-compelling exchanges that are ultimately inconsistent with the characters. While Mark Ruffalo is a great actor, almost none of his scenes really allow him to truly portray his diversity of talents.His whole character was overdone in trying to suppress his emotion, simply resulting in a blandness of the character (especially how annoying when he meaninglessly takes off his glasses in every single God-damned scene). Loki himself was a bit of a disappointment as well, with both his powers portrayal and dialogue approach flicking throughout the whole film. He doesn't exactly scare you to bits at all, nor does his army, who were easily defeated by the powerless heroes Hawkeye and Black Widow, make you go "Shit! The Avengers are fucked!"

Joss Whedon is a great writer and director, but he is more accustomed to writing exciting TV series spanning multiple seasons than to trying to fit too many things in a 2.5-hours blockbuster film. But credit must be given where credit is due. Whedon's script neatly placed Hawkeye and Black Widow surprisingly on par with the rest of the cast. The art direction is top-notch, and my friends and I were constantly captivated by the action scenes and more-often-than-not funny exchanges. Viewers dare not take their eyes away from the spectacular and elegant ending battle. The chemistry among the heroes is a bit messy and unfiltered at times, but it makes the scene more organic and relatable. Avengers is a superhero movie after all, with no intent to establish the groundwork for a new style of the genre. Despite its flaws, the Avengers proves to live up to its hype and fulfils its purpose as the great popcorn flick, and without a doubt spoils our expectations for its sequel(s).

To me, the worst part of the movie was

when Hulk punches Thor out of the screen after they teamed up in a chessy, juvenile and stupid manner. I felt that scene was quite unnecesary and just used to captivate the applause of the childish audience, not mature enough to understand the subtlety of truly fun scenes.

. On the other side, my favorite part was when

Hulk reduced the so-called "God of Mischief" into a pile of sobs, efectively transporting him into the most beloved childhood days when the fathers of old slapped their children into behaving.

Overall, I liked the movie a lot, but I felt as well that the enemy was pretty common, not as scary as it was led to believe. I think a short 5 min story about the chitauri would have better explained that feel of despair and magnified the triumph of The Avengers even more.

Also

I was really depressed when Coulson died but loved the part when Tony kinda "avenged" him telling Loki "There's someone else you pissed, and his name is Phil" when the entire movie he was telling Potts "Why do you call him Phil? His name is 'Agent'" and stuff. Seriously, that part almost brought a tear to my eyes.

Anyways, loved the movie, gave it a 9.5 on IMDB

• 2 weeks later...

It was really good, but it didn't leave me wanting more, or wanting to go see it again. People said they'd seen it two or three times, but I guess I just don't understand why you'd want to. Definitely hope there's a sequel in the works. :)

I was not a fan. Walked out of the movie last night. Far too much pointless and poorly written dialog. Cool special affects but an extremely slow start. I knew that all the action from the commercials was soon to come, but I had no desire to even see the action after the horrible start.

These are only my opinions of course.

Let's just make a "Thor 2" movie and I'm in. That was one of my favorites so far although when I first saw the trailers for Thor, I thought I'd hate it.

Not as good as it should have been. The script was poor, plot was about as basic as it gets, and character development was rather crap. I understand it's awkward going from watching a film that's all about one character to suddenly having a bunch of them in your face but it could have been done better. Interaction between characters felt way too forced for my liking, especially between stark and captain fancypants. Like they were trying to cram everything into the time they had and yet somehow make the film feel slow and sluggish.

That being said, I enjoyed the film a lot. The acting was excellent (script was terrible, not the actors), the action scenes were brilliant and overall a fun movie to watch. 8/10 overall, just because... well... it's the avengers. Come on.

...Walked out of the movie last night...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x260/Wolfnix/tumblr_m17o356xkT1qccr2xo2_250-1.jpg

You walked... out of the movie theater with The Avengers showing...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x260/Wolfnix/tumblr_loz6j2mkOe1qk8gvx.gif

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x260/Wolfnix/tumblr_m0t0ytrYHf1r4yen0-1.gif

You said... it was pointless...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x260/Wolfnix/tumblr_m3x016zAIO1r2ypf4.gif

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x260/Wolfnix/tumblr_m21756NdcH1qhmfmk.gif

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x260/Wolfnix/tumblr_m3qgko3s7o1qc0o7m.gif

Next time you're on the server...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x260/Wolfnix/tumblr_m0xuzopDYf1qkjra2-1.gif

Lol Soli, that was awesome. But I really enjoyed the Avengers. Robert Downey Jr. is the fucking man. Terrific actor. I really also like Mark Ruffalo as an actor in a variety of other movies. Those two together made it good. Action was good, but as Noc said it didn't come till a bit later, rather slow start.

You beat me to it; I was going to wait on posting my Avengers review until it's US release. :

There'll be 30 minutes of deleted scenes or a 30 minute longer extended cut in the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Supposedly, the 30 minutes of deleted scenes will be mostly about Captain America's adaptation to the modern world and such. I hope it will be equally exciting!

Archived