Jedi Phoenix

Main rules for the events and competition types

Johnnydillinger

So, since the events have their own forum section now, I decided not to spam the respective topics of each weekend's competition with the main rules, but create this thread to it instead. These are the main rules that always apply, for all competitions, except where noted.

- Don't break the server rules, if you do, you can't win and are disqualified. Please note that if you are caught breaking the server rules, you are disqualified from all events that weekend. Should you do this after you won something, your prize goes to the second place instead. This is the one rule that will always apply, without exceptions.

- Be always respectful. If someone cheated, approach me about it instead of starting a verbal armageddon on the rulebreaker. Once again, this is a server rule. If you break it so that you get silenced, you are disqualified and your prize, if you won something, goes to the second place of that competition.

- Breaking the rules of the competitions will get you first a warning, then a disqualification. Only if they were intentional, of course. After your disqualification, you are not allowed to play in the current competition, but may return for the next one, if there's such that day. If you get disqualified by only breaking the competition rules, you can still keep your previously won prizes.

- Winners of the competitions this weekend can play in next week's event too, but they can not win anything. If they place first, the second place gets the prizes. This is to prevent only a couple of people to win, but 'll try to insert some more random natured events in the future where skill is completely unneeded.

- In cases of having events in secluded areas, please do not ask for being teleported back only to watch the round end; your request will be ignored. This is for a lot of reasons. First, it's a bit of a hassle to pull up the console and type a command and name/ID when a competition is still going. I should really pay attention to those who are still playing, to see if anyone's cheating/pinging out/whatever have you. Then, there may be cases when someone asks for being brought back to watch an LMS match, and what do you know, they join it again with a different name or something. These kind of abuses were rarely had so far (and at least the rulebreaker admitted it; he did it as a joke), but I want to prevent it as much as I can.

- A special notification: I might black out during these events. There are some random electricity blackouts in the area I live at, and on top of that my hard drive is still restarting while running, but only like once a week. To fix that, I have to randomly rewire the power cables inside my PC, and it can take as long as a few hours to make it happen. I have a shitty laptop which I could use to tell someone that I'm not able to attend. In these cases, I may ask someone else to finish the event for me, or postpone it to another day. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

These should be the main rules that apply for everything. I don't think there will be exceptions for any of them, but I'll tell you when there are.

The other thing I want us to have in one thread is the types of competitions, and my and other's opinions and experiences on them. This thread will be open for discussion, so if you have a problem with any of these, or have any ideas that should make it more fun, add it and we'll try it. If it works out good, we'll make it a rule. Use this thread to post new competition ideas as well, same applies to them too. Here's what we have so far:

DFA Wroms:

Rules:

- Everyone can take only one turn per round. The turns are randomized by me.

- You can only "move" with DFAs, and only use DFA as a means of attacking.

- Sabers must all be up, so that we are not breaking the server rules.

- DFA can be either yellow or red, no other moves are allowed.

- There is no "skip turn". You'll always have to make one DFA each turn.

- If people are constantly moving away from each other, a few motivational rockets shot by me will remind them to be on the offensive. Avoiding these rockets is forbidden. 1 rocket per (bad) move.

- If tied, players will play a tie breaker round. If there's only 2 people left, 3 duels between them with only single red style will decide the rightful winner.

- If someone lands on top of you, you both "lose" that round. If you're only the 2 players left on the field, both of you get one point (a.k.a. win). This is because neither of you will be able to make a DFA move from that spot.

- If you mess up a dfa, put immediately on a chatbox, or avoid hitting the opponent in any way. If you didn't hit him, you can try again (only once per move), and if you actually hit him and dealt damage, you are disqualified from that round but not get a warning.

- Everyone decides their starting spot before the match starts.

- I might stir up these positions by force pushing/pulling everyone randomly :D

Not much to say about this one, it's awesome and everyone who tried it so far seemed to like it. One thing I never told you guys is how I actually randomize the order of who takes a turn first. I have some bits of paper, with everyone's name written on it, and put it into a plastic bowl, then I choose one piece while not looking. Ever noticed how I always needed a few seconds before telling who's next?

Turn Based JKA

Rules:

- One turn per round, randomized, you can't skip

- You have 2 action points to spend, you can't skip on action points either. Ways to spend it:

- 1 point for jumping (the only allowed way of moving around that is not DFA or kata)

- 1 point for an attack (any type you want, no special moves)

- 2 points for a special move (DFA, kata, glitch kick, lunge, backslash, you know the drill)

- 2 points for a jetpack move. You can move around anywhere you want, but you can only use this once in a round.

- Sabers must be up all the time, no chatbox while they are attacking you

- You are allowed to parry in real time. That is, you can turn any way to face your attacker, but you can't counter it.

- You can change you saber and its style freely, but not while you attack. Or if you do, it counts as a special move (e.g. glitchkick and that double saber lunge)

- Rockets may be fired at those who are constantly avoiding contact, to make sure the rounds aren't going so sluggishly.

Same as before, this is something the majority even voted for on the forum. Seems like the turn-based twist to JKA works great. Tried and works, such as DFA Worms.

Last Man Standing:

Rules:

- Don't leave the arena of fighting

- Don't avoid fighting (or you might get some motivational rockets from me, teehee)

- Don't use grapple

- No chatbox or disabled saber when you're in the arena at the time of a fight. Chat some other time

- If tied, the winners will either duel (3 rounds) or LMS (1 round) it out between themselves

This one is old and never gets old, I used to hold LMS randomly in the past and it has always been awesome. I love firing rockets during these too, and they proved to be motivational enough to keep it fast paced. My favourite was when I constantly fird them in one line in the air.

Juggernaut:

Rules:

- One player gets force, all the others are out ot get him/her. The person that deals a death blow to the forcer wins one point, and earns the role of the forcer.

- Forcer might only attack people who are attacking them in the first place. This is to avoid inconvenience for those who are not wanting to take part.

- If the forcer is deliberately attacking people with sabers down, he will get disqualified from the event and is going to be dealt with according to the server rules. Accidents can happen, but "accidents" won't be tolerated.

- This is taking part in the public, i.e. we're not going to go to the roofs of Tatooine or any other separate and safe area from the public. For this reason, please refer again to the rule just above this and keep it as safe as possible.

- And here's the reason for a change of name: the forcer may get some weapons too (this is totally random). Due to bad experience with this (people wreaking havoc with weapons against unarmed in former events) it is not going to be applied to other participants. For example, I thought I'd give some people with a low win point some weapons to make it easier for them to catch the guy and balance the game, but this is only happening if the participants are people I know and trust. The guy (forcer) who gets a weapon is someone I choose randomly, as mentioned before. I can follow him from spectator, but can't follow anyone else with a weapon (i.e. 2 people at the same time). Hope you understand.

- Everything goes here. Use grapple, glitchkick, put up some chat bubble when you feel unsafe by the forcer, attack other participants at your will, and so on, and so on. Basically, if you're not breaking any server rules, you're not breaking any Juggernaut rules.

- The forcer (or weaponer...) can't put up chat bubble, ever. Only after you died, not even if you feel noone is around you. If you manage to get a bubble from standing still for a considerable amount of time, you get a point. But good freaking luck doing that, lol.

- Should the final score be tied, the 2 tied members are going to duel it out. In case of more people, I'll amemp myself and the 3 of you (or more) must get me. First one to kill me immediately gets a prize.

- EXTRA REMINDER: If I find you abusing your force/merc, you are disqualified from the matches immediately. That means you can't partake in other competitions that day either. If a lot of people are doing this, I'll choose a rightful winner at that point and stop the event, and I'll strongly consider not making any force or weapon-related competitions in the future. Please don't abuse this, it's for having fun, not making others not have fun.

Well, I've got mixed feelings about this one. It was fun and all, but a lot of people seemed to lose interest when the forcer/mercer hid somewhere. Maybe we should try this in a more secluded area next time (i.e.: the arena below Taspir, near the lava).

Rocket Science:

Rules:

-This one is fast, easy and fun. I'm shooting homing rockets at you, and you must stay alive with the most rockets still following you. Well, let's specify that a little. You can jump around and the rockets will basically kind of orbit you. Just jump in one place and you're good to go.

-Everyone has 2 goes, and one optional training round if they want. The score of the training round doesn't count, the other 2 does. Each round can be restarted if you're hit by the first rocket, but only once.

-If the rockets hit you (or the ground) and you still didn't die, the round is still over.

-Highest rocket count is your entry to the competition, obviously.

-If tied, we'll hold another round for the winners. Most rockets in there will win (previous scores don't count).

-I'll show how it's done for all before we start the competition, don't worry.

Turned out ot be more fun than expected, this one was a blast of a minigame (pun intended). Most people didn't know how to avoid rockets, yet the guy who never tried it before won the competition. It's a lot about luck too. I like this one, might turn up as a minigame in the future.

JKA Jousting:

Rules:

- On FFA2 map, 2 people line up on opposite sides of the bridge with ample space before the bridge to get a good hop-start. Grapple (once) for speed and hop towards eachother (with staff) and attempt to "knock the other jouster off his horse'' with an air kick.

- 1 point for successful kick, 2 points for kicking opponent off the bridge area, 5 points for kicking opponent into the holes (points do not stack, higher point value action trumps lower point value action. If player rolls into the hole it is still 2 points. Player death outside of falling down the hole grants no bonus)

- Grappling after initial start results in a penalty point bonus to the other player (point values to be 2, 3, and 6 points should the criteria have been met without the grapple save). If you fuck up your start, don't enter the bridge area, the round will be void. Retreating from the bridge, or jumping away from it constitutes surrender, thus forfeiting the match.

- No jetpacks, grabbing health (until after your match) katas, glitch kicking or attacking downed opponent(staff saber there to represent the lance, turn away from the opponent after the kick, only kick once) and stopping for ground-kick advantage (must kick on the move).

- Rules brought to you by Vicious with the help of Pengu.

We tried this for only a short time, and the problem with it is that there's a lot more people who can't use grapple to only boost a jump than the ones who can. This seemed to be also something that proved to be harder to master as well. We were able to clear the bridge of traffic without much problems though, so if there's a smaller group of people playing this (ones who can do the jump), I'm willing to host it. Otherwise, it's not suitable for everyone.

Wall of Death:

Rules:

- 2 teams are clashing against each other after a countdown. They are initially lined up and face each other as 2 lines.

- To make it easier to distinguish enemy from foe, the teams have their own distinct skins and sabers.

- Team members should not attack each other, but it is not against the rules. Take it as "friendly fire".

- Everything goes, just don't break the server rules (would be hard too).

Once again, only tried it once and it was pretty much a failure. It failed because making those 2 lines alone took about 15 minutes, and then when the thing even started already, it turned into a FFA quickly. The skins were something that I didn't even try to force as a rule, as it was hard enough to get everyone to use a specific saber color. A good fix for this might be that the 2 lines are making an RDFA after running a bit towards the enemy, and the survivors continue in turns or in some TFFA sort of thing. We might test this further in the future.

Melee Brawl:

Rules:

- Everyone only can use melee. If you switch for weapons you're out.

- Functions as an LMS, last person alive wins.

- Don't use grapple, and no chatbox wihile fighting.

- DO NOT use your weapons against the traffic after you are out of the round.

It's simple, and it is a lot of fun. But I'm not doing this again because of the pretty big amount of people using weapons in the traffic after they were killed in the arena. Even some of our applicants used it. That is way uncool, and there's only a slight chance that I will do another round of this because of that.

Survival of the Fluffiest:

Rules:

- I'll spawn a near-human sized rancor with increased health in the arena, and after a countdown everyone jumps in and tries to kill it. Once there's only one person alive, he gets a point.

- The person who deals the death blow to Fluffy gets 3 points. If we cannot say who dealt the blow, everyone alive gets one point.

- In case you were not ware of it, Fluffy is the name of mentioned rancor, hence the name of this competition.

- You shouldn't use grapple, otherwise it's all good, give him hell.

One more on the simple side, this worked out pretty well last time we tried it. The only problem I found was that Fluffy died pretty easily. We might have more of them for the next competition, either at the same time or one by one. I also have an idea of a war against a number of NPCs in a secluded area, but it is way unlikely that I can make it work the way I want. I'll update you with the progress, if I make any.

Duel Tournament:

Rules:

- Either 8 or 16 people are needed for this. It's either a one-on-one or a 2 vs 2 duel tournament. The latter is held in an arena such as the ones for LMS, friendly fire is obviously "on".

- Just don't duel lame and you're good (duel laming is laming your opponent in the first 5 or so seconds of the duel. After that time, or if he has saber up, give him hell).

- Don't run from your opponent. If you do, I'll disqualify you and your opponent wins that round.

Simple as it is, this has not been tried out in a weekend event yet. I'm not too fond of the idea though, as it's a bit too much skill-based, and it's barely anything different from the main game's experience. The 2 vs 2 might be good though, we'll see about that.

Lord of the Rings

Rules:

- Takes place on FFA4 (Rift Sanctuary) on the rings above the crystals in the big rooms.

- Everyone can use whatever they want, except grapple.

- If you fall down, you're out. If you survive the whole round, yay, you won one point!

- Usage of kicks is optional but advised, as it proves to be most effective.

This is next to impossible to hold, as it's taking place in a public part of the server, and we had some serious problems letting people know that they can't basically break the rules stated above, pretty much all of them. I'm not fond of this, but if anyone has ideas to improve it, I'm listening.

Score Whore:

Rules:

- You have to get the highest score on a map, from the beginning to the end.

- Everything goes, just don't break the server rules.

- The number of deaths does not count. Time to kata spam your way to victory.

- If tied, the winners are either dueling it out (3 rounds) or play a mini-LMS (only if more than 2 people are tied, one round).

- I'll make a screenshot of the final form of the scoreboard. That will decide who wins :p

Not tried yet, this is the laziest type of competition, ever. But it still seems like a good one. Maybe I'll hold one on a not-so-weekend day, prizes may or may not be given out for the winner. Not sure about it.

Jedi Team Fortress:

Rules:

- I am the only control point a team must defend/attack. If I am killed, then the round is over.

- The teams consist of a lot of types of players, here they are:

- 1: The Jedi. Force user, can use lightsaber and all the forces of his choice. Cannot use grapple

- 2: Heavy Weapons Guy: a mercenary, holding all the weapons. Can also use melee (lol) and flamethrower (holding the force button). Can also use Jetpack, but is prohibited to use grapple.

- 3: The Saberist Spiderman: Can only use his saber, all styles and stances. The only character that can use grapple.

- The team that is defending me gets as many points as many minutes they can defend me for. There are no 3 points for 2 minutes and 59 seconds, I'm timing it myself.

- Teams take turns. Once team A defended me until they could, they are becoming the attackers and the other team must "capture" me.

- I am only standing in one place, not attacking. I will prevent myself from getting bubble by crouching sometimes, but I'll try to do that while noone's attacking me. I will do one thing however, and it's using supportive force powers (protect, heal, etc but no harmful ones). To make myself a bit more easy to notice and distinguish, I will use a giant rescale of my model. You can't miss me that way. If I am moved by a rocket or force push/pull, then I will stay where I moved.

- Do NOT use your weapons or force against the traffic, and if the traffic attacks you only try to defend yourself so that it's not going to be unfair.

I changed it around a bit from its original form, and I still have to try this one. Not too fond of the idea itself, as people may abuse their weapons or Force again. Still, going to try this one day.

Hide and Seek:

Rules:

- Each participant will take one turn as the guy who hides, and has to, well, hide. The number of minutes he is unnoticed is the number of points he gets. Everyone hides only once or twice, the number must not be different from the number of hides everyone else takes.

- The person who finds the hider gets a point too. If you find him at the same time with someone, you both get a point. You must yell "found him" or something so that I know you found him.

- The hider gets 30 seconds to hide, until which he is ghosted.

- The hider can NOT move after his 30 seconds of searching a place to hide ended. If you move when people are searching for you, you are disqualified fom the event.

- Yes, I know everyone could use UUs player tracker, and if I find out that someone or more people use it, the competition ends. Let's keep this as fair as possible, do it for the spirit of the game.

This is new, I just thought about it. The main idea sounds fun and I hope we can make this happen this weekend, as it will be one of the competitions we're going to have. We'll see about it.

That's all I have for now, if you have ideas about any of them or have a completely new event type we can try, tell me and we will try it. Discuss!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.