Jedi Phoenix

Games of the year for you?

Johnnydillinger

Well it's 2012 and you probably played most of last year's titles, now let's see which one you liked the most.

My choice:

Bastion

Yeah, I've been playing a lot of indie titles lately on Steam, even though I have an Xbox. Guess I'm more into that kinda stuff right now. Anyway, Bastion; this one I didn't like at the start, then read some very good reviews about it so I decided to take a look at the demo. The Narrator almost made me piss myself the first time, I didn't see it coming and there's probably only one other game (Bard's Tale) that did something similar. Weird but appealing narrative aside, the game wasn't that much appealing. I didn't like the aiming and just plain fell down a bazillion of times the first time around. Then I reached the Bastion and the demo was over. So I thought this would be a great game to play, but not "now", and I put it on my wishlist. Then a friend of mine bought it...

So here I was some days after Christmas, playing a bit with it again, and found out why I hated the aim system and why I kept dieing so many times. First, there is autoaim even for the PC version, though you are free to go all manual with the mouse. Then, I simply forgot the fact that you have a freaking shield in that game. Having discovered these lifesaving gameplay mechanics, I freshly started playing it for long and long hours, and discovered that I was sorta addicted to it. The game has a very neat leveling up system, and some fancy RPG elements, not to mention the challenges and extra levels, a.k.a. dreams or trips to Who Knows Where. Then I reached the ending...

Now, you know, there's only one movie that could actually get me to cry, and that was It's a Wonderful Life (maybe because they don't play it every year on every channel here in Hungary, so I didn't know about it), and there's absolutely no game that could ever bring me to the almost-teary state. Well, now there is one. I'm not spoiling anything but there's just one scene in the end where you face a choice, and where you'll probably choose the one that doesn't go against the protagonist's former actions. It seems impossible to complete that level choosing that option, but what happens after that, is probably the most moving scene ever played in a game, and not even a cutscene is involved.

The reason that worked out was because the game has some very good writing, and you'll honestly give a shit about the characters. The narative has a distinct style, and things become clear as you make progress, like what caused the world-ending Calamity, some backgrounds on the survivors, and even about who the hell the Narrator is talking to. Bastion was something everyone told me was going to be awesome, and I believed noone, then it delivered, bigtime. I think I had the same attitude towards it as towards Skyrim, it seemed like a very good one, but definitely not unforgettable and that much remarkable as everybody says. Oh well, hopefully Skyrim will prove me wrong one day too... Anyway, just a friendly advice, go check out that demo.

That's my choice for the best game from last year, but you should consider that I haven't played all games, and left out some more important titles like Arkham City (though some people already spoiled it for me; fuck you internet!), Assassin's Creed Revelations, and the aforementioned Skyrim.

Now, this turned out to be longer as expected... Alright, what's your choice for Best Game of 2011? You probably have one so post it!

1997: Grand Turismo

1998: Grand Turismo 2

1999: Metal Gear Solid

2000: Jedi Power Battles

2001: Gran Turismo 3

2002: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

2003: GTA3

2004: Jedi Knight II/Jedi Academy

2005: Jedi Power Battles

2006: Jedi Power Battles

2007: /amban

2008: Jedi Power Battles