Jedi Phoenix

Crysis 2 Demo

SonicPants

Yea so like the title says, its a review of the Crysis 2 Demo for PC. Also, FYI, its a multiplayer demo so of course the review will focus on the multiplayer and the two maps that comes with it.

So lets jump right into Gameplay:

At its very core, it is your average FPS, and in some respects it is in fact a CoD clone. The reason I say this is because, there are four classes to choose from, you unlock those classes by earning points/currency in game. You can also upgrade weapons, etc, etc similar to the weapon customization in Call of Duty: Black Ops. But! Here's where Crysis 2 rises above CoD and really stands out. Nanosuits, yep, it's all about the nanosuit. The nanosuit can be customized as well as is expected and you can really tailor it to whatever type of player you are (i.e. stealth, run n gun, tank, etc). The number of players in each match for the demo is 12, which is a 6v6 match and I'm really hoping this changes in the full version because I'd love to see larger scale battles. However, everything runs smoothly (as long as your computer can handle it) and it has a lot of interesting gameplay mechanics that you'll just have to check out for yourself.

Gamplay Part 2:

This little snip will be about the game modes. There are two game modes in the demo, Crash Site and Team Instant Action. We'll start with Crash Site, this game mode is basically like King of the Hill. There is an alien drop ship that drops a pod in any given location and your team must secure the pod and obtain as many points as possible from that. Team Instant Action is, you guessed it, Team Deathmatch. It's a straight forward "get to 50 kills" deal and with all the gameplay features listed above, it really makes for some fun and exciting matches that are always different in the way you, and your enemy play.

That brings me into Level Design/Graphics:

So, the review has brought us here, you guys know what to expect so I'll keep it short. The graphics are nothing short of stunning, and I believe they really push the bounds of what modern graphics cards can do. Everything from the lighting, to the textures, to the particle effects. So yeah, in a nut shell, it's Crysis. As for the two levels that come with the demo, Pier 17 and Skyline, they are very unique and offer different play styles to fit all kinds of gamers so I'd say they were well made and intuitive.

Soooo.... what's next. Classes/Weapons/Extra's? Yeah sure why not:

So, four classes: Assault, Scout, Sniper, and Gunner. Pretty self explanatory so lets get to the weapons. The Assault weapon is your standard AR and unfortunately I can't remember what the name of it is. In my opinion it is the best weapon in the game because of it's medium-long range and it can even handle itself in close range situations. Scout gets the shotgun, the shotgun is a semi-auto which reminds me a lot of an AA-12, range is medium-short and it's probably the best weapon if you like to run n gun. Sniper gets a semi-auto sniper rifle that is two shots to the chest or 1 shot to the head, using this gun can be a bit tricky because I've noticed a slight bullet delay that sort of fakes you out as you're shooting it and if you have any lag, its probably not the best weapon since most people are running around like crazy. And last, Gunner gets the LMG which is pretty good, range is medium and stopping power is probably the best out of all the weapons. And of course you can unlock all sorts of weapons in the full version of the game.

Moving on to Extra's, there are specific nanosuit abilities for each class, sniper has better stealth, gunner better armor, you get the idea. There are also customizable dog tags/awards you earn throughout leveling up/gaining points which is pretty cool. Obtaining dog tags in-game is like the CoD killstreak system, 3 dog tags = radar, 5 = orbital strike, 7 = gunship thingy.

Overview (tl;dr):

Basically (I hate to say it but it's true) the multiplayer is a CoD:BO clone with nanosuits and better graphics, that's all there is to it. However, I'm a huge Crysis fan and if anything else, I'd say pick it up for the single player which hopefully will be awesome!

Pros: Graphics, Nanosuit mechanics, upgrades, etc.

Cons: Small 6v6 matches, some lag issues, and game crashes on occasion.

If you love'd Crysis 1, I'd highly recommend playing the Crysis 2 Demo while you wait for the full release. If you hate Crysis, give the demo a shot, you've really got nothing to lose but a few hours of your time and I bet you'll have some fun with it. But please, keep in mind, It Is Just A Demo!

Crysis 2 Multiplayer Demo comes in at: 9.2/10

(lol 9.2 so random)

Archived