Jedi Phoenix

JA not work? Got an ATI card? Read on...

Quick fix: http://www.filefront.com/16696483/atioglxx.rar/ or http://www.modgears....ds/atioglxx.zip

Fucking atioglxx.dll' date=' what does it do!? Adds the rendering library needed to run older Quake engine games that use OpenGL. Put atioglxx.dll in your GameData folder and it should work as intended. Supports ATI Catalyst Drivers 10.5 -> 10.8.

[/quote']

The Jonza endorsed fix ^^^ Try this before killing your shiny new drivers. Then, if it's still broken, try that vvv

I am posting this topic because despite numerous topics where people have ATI cards, have been told what to do and the issues have been resolved, there are still constantly new topics from people with the same problem who just don't know where to look for help. So if they see this topic then they can resolve their issues easily rather than waiting for a reply. This post contains information I found posted by Supa, TheFredz, and Zan.

Bear in mind, I am not a tech genius, I don't talk tech savvy and I don't have an ATI card, I am just compiling the information I've gathered into one topic for your easy browsing as it seems to be a common problem, so if anyone has anything they want to add to this topic, just put a post in or PM me, and I'll edit it into this post. Onto the problem now...

The problem.

The main problem that seems to be occuring is that JA will not open up at all, posts an Open GL error message, or posts an jamp.exe error message, or others to this effect. You have no idea what else to do, so you post a topic about it. Hopefully your eye catches sight of this one.

Is your graphics card an ATI card?

Because if it is, there's a 99% chance this is your problem. Basically, the new ATI drivers do not have Open GL support for older games such as Jedi Academy, and you will find this a reoccuring problem through other older games too. Why have they done this? Well, my guess is it's because no one plays these older games much, they can put in more support for newer games, and everyone likes to play newer games, right?! So what if you have to stop playing these older games, right?! Silly, silly ATI.

How to fix this problem.

Here is the part you will not like doing. You will have to downgrade your drivers to Catalyst 10.4 or lower. Sucks, doesn't it? No one likes to downgrade things just to make things work... But alas, it must be done. At the ATI driver download page, choose previous drivers and download 10.4

This may not be the only thing that fixes the problem, you may also need to place a .dll file into your GameData folder called atioglxx. Do a google search (or I'll post a link when I get one) and place it into said folder, and it should fix the problem.

If it's still not working, then re-install JA. And I mean a complete re-install. Make back ups of all your downloads, .cfgs, everything you wish to keep that will otherwise be changed (definitely backup your jampconfig.cfg, you should have a backup already, sometimes the game like to reset it). Make sure you have the 1.01 patch which you can download HERE, and hopefully this will resolve the problem.

If there is still a problem.

Chances are it'll be a hardware problem, rather than software, or it might not. In this case, post a topic about it and see what transpires.

I hope this helps a lot of people =)

• Upvote 1

Great info glad to see that it can be resolved. But one thing. What happends when ATI don't have that catalyst anymore? Hmm I say get it now and back that shit up. Store it on a old hard drive someplace. Or you may be forced to buy nvidia if you wish to play.

While what you posted is true, you didn't actually help anyone, you just told them why things are screwing up. There are two ways to allow the newer drivers to support OpenGL rendering. In short, older games such as Jedi Academy use an ancient form of 3d rendering known as OpenGL. ATI has obviously stopped fully supporting it, but that doesn't mean you can't use them.

Quick fix: http://www.filefront.com/16696483/atioglxx.rar/ or http://www.modgears.net/downloads/atioglxx.zip

Fucking atioglxx.dll, what does it do!? Adds the rendering library needed to run older Quake engine games that use OpenGL. Put atioglxx.dll in your GameData folder and it should work as intended. Supports ATI Catalyst Drivers 10.5 -> 10.8.

Longer fix, quoted from another board:

1. Go to the driver download selection page at the ATI website: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
  2. Select the options which suit your graphics card, and then click Display Results.
  3. Under the heading which starts ATI Catalyst™ 10.6 Suite for..., click the Previous Drivers link.
  4. Click Catalyst 10.4.
  5. Download the Display Driver (downloading the Full Software Suite also works, but the Display Driver download is slightly smaller :))
  6. Run the installer, and make a note of where the ATI install files will be extracted to. By default it will be C:\ATI.
  7. Wait for the files to extract, and on the next window (should be the Catalyst Install Manager), click Cancel to cancel the installation.
  8. Go to the directory you wrote down earlier, where the install files were extracted, and navigate into the Support directory, and then the directory which begins 10-4_.
  9. Navigate into the Packages/Drivers directory.
  10. Keep entering the first (and only) directory visible until there are no more directories to enter. For me, this was C:\ATI\Support\10-4_vista64_win7_64_dd\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\B_98282 (for a Windows 7 64-bit driver).
  11. Find the file atioglxx.dl_, and copy this file to your Jedi Academy's GameData directory.
  12. Copy and paste the below batch script into a file called atifix.bat, and save it to the GameData folder.
    expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll

Alternatively, you can run the command directly from the command prompt, and skip the last step.

13. Run the atifix.bat file.

If you can't get this working, just use the download provided above.

Edited by Supa

Well, fuck your old topics, I made my own. And if it annoys you that much then you have serious anger issues, or you're a giant troll.

PS: I used Supa's link, and it worked flawlessly with the current ATI drivers. Since it involves not having to use old drivers, I think it's a better solution.

Anyway, pinned.

Well, fuck your old topics, I made my own. And if it annoys you that much then you have serious anger issues, or you're a giant troll.

PS: I used Supa's link, and it worked flawlessly with the current ATI drivers. Since it involves not having to use old drivers, I think it's a better solution.

Anyway, pinned.

i got no issues, just thought it would be a good place for people to actually solve the problem straight away ;)

and yeah I was gonna edit in what Supa said. As I said, I'm not an ATI man, so I don't know the ins and outs of the problems... I just followed what Fred and Zan said to be perfectly honest =P

Keep in mind that i recommended that solution (pasting the dll in gamedata) to DeathAudit (may his JA rest in peace) and it didn't work, altough it should've.

... I just followed what Fred and Zan said to be perfectly honest =P

Yet you didn't quote any of us :(

Yet you didn't quote any of us :(

That's because the posts were so spread out that the quotes would have taken up a lot of space, so I just compiled it into one big post.

To make you happier though zan, you have now been credited =P cos i thought i put them in and totally forgot >.

• 1 year later...