Jedi Phoenix

Adventures in Arksansas

The peep

So, i'm currently in Hot Springs, Arkansas and unable to get back to Memphis. Whoops. The plan was to drive out to my uncle's house on the 23rd, stay through Christmas Eve then open presents and GTFO on Christmas day before a big snowstorm hit.

The drive over here went fine, we got mildly lost (missed an exit) but corrected fairly quickly. It's about a 3 hour drive if you know exactly where you're going, took us around 3 and a half. The rest of that day, aswell as Christmas Eve, went great. We wake up on Christmas morning to find it's already raining. We knew this was possible so there wasn't too much worry. Wrapping paper gets shredded,  my 3 year old cousin has his first best Christmas ever, all was well.

We got our shit together, tossed it in the cars and head off back to Memphis... 20 Minutes in the battery light on the car me, my mom and my brother are in pops on. After a short call to my aunt and her husband who are in the other car, we decide to continue on. Bad idea. 10 minutes later our car dies on us, in the cold and the rain. An hour later me and my mother are back at my uncle's house and we've concocted a new plan. My aunt, her son (the 3 year old), her husband and my brother would all head back to Memphis in the working car since they had work the next day. My mom and I would stay with my uncle until we could either fix the car and drive back, or somebody could come here and pick us up.

My uncle's place is nice, so I can't say I was disappointed. Hell, we'll hang out here, watch the snow and head out around new years... THEN the snow came. Oh boy the snow. It rarely snows in Memphis and if it does, it's maybe 2 or 3 inches at best. This shit...I'll try to post some pictures later, I've never experienced snow like this. Okay, so we were snowed in, that's fine we had enough food and drink to last us for days. We'll just sit back, watch some TV and...Power goes out.

So, now it's Christmas night, we're snowed in with no source of heat, spoiling food and no timeframe of when we would get power again. luckily the next day the roads were SLIGHTLY better, so we piled into my uncle's truck and headed out to wal-mart (one of the very few opened stores) and tried to find some shit to eat and keep us warm. We got some supplies and stopped by Dominoes since there wasn't anywhere else to grab something hot to eat. Next day, still no power. It was pretty much a repeat of the previous day, grab supplies, find food, get back to the house. Surprisingly to us, the power came back on at around 7 PM, Yay heat!

So now we're at today. The power stayed on all night and it's looking like it's not going back down. The car's still not fixed and hasn't really been looked at and we're kind of uncertain of when me and my mom will actually have a chance to get home. We're warm though, finally.

It's possible we'll be heading back while my aunt's husband is off work for new years, they can come out and pick us up. otherwise we'll be waiting until we can get a new alternator and find somebody to install it on the car (my uncle seems to know somebody). I'll try to get a hold of the picture's we've taken and update you guys when we're a little more certain of when we'll be traveling back.

You think it's bad now? We get a lot of -ice- storms that tend to crush all hope of travel and takes power out for upwards of a week. I kind of lucked out and didn't get any of that in the Northwest part of the state (where I live), haven't seen anything more than a light dusting that didn't even stick to the roads. But, uh, welcome to Arkansas! Have a pleasant stay! (:

http://i.imgur.com/kOFWa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/b3CYZ.jpg

(Those aren't from me)

That's from Conway, Arkansas, which is right there in the general area of where Memph is.

Memphis' story sounds like the beginning 15 minutes of a horror story in the creepy American woods

Ha, I tried to make it entertaining. :p

We get a lot of -ice- storms that tend to crush all hope of travel and takes power out for upwards of a week...welcome to Arkansas! Have a pleasant stay! (:

Man, fuck that, I'm getting out of here. :p

Archived