Jedi Phoenix

Disney purchasing Lucasarts

West Dragon

I personally never had any issues with the sequel trilogy, except that it seemed too childish. The original trilogy were so good until George Lucas found it important to keep re-releasing it with more special effects to make kiddies laugh. I can understand the reasoning, to make it appeal to a younger generation, however it takes away from the amazement of the whole experience. That's what I hate about George Lucas. He made something amazing, and then in an attempt to make more money (and you can argue that he was simply trying to sell his film to a newer generation, but it's funny how much money he makes out of it) he goes and ruins his already excellent films. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't opposed to all the changes he made, while some may seem small they did tie in nicely together, but if these is one thing I'm glad for it's that he can't re-release his films yet again.

As for Disney now owning Lucasfilm... Ergh. I dunno. Naturally your first instinct is to think of all this crap Disney has done, and if I thought Star Wars for being directed towards the kids before, it certainly will be now. However it can't be any worse. So long as the execution is done well and people's minds are open it can be done well. They will NOT be the same style as the previous films, that's a given. However that doesn't make it bad. Disney have made a lot of good films too, and I'm hoping they just throw everything they can into it.

I do wonder if John Williams will tell them to go stick it though, I get the feeling he's probably sick of Star Wars by now. And if that's the case, it would be very interesting to see who they get to fill the boots. To me the music of Star Wars is key, and if they stick in blasting guitars it would ruin the whole thing. And while we do have our Hans Zimmers and Danny Elfmans, it's not the same (I guess I notice it through studying them all). I'll have to find out who is involved in working on the next Star Wars film before I commit to any good/bad thoughts for good.

I personally never had any issues with the sequel trilogy, except that it seemed too childish. The original trilogy were so good until George Lucas found it important to keep re-releasing it with more special effects to make kiddies laugh. I can understand the reasoning, to make it appeal to a younger generation, however it takes away from the amazement of the whole experience. That's what I hate about George Lucas. He made something amazing, and then in an attempt to make more money (and you can argue that he was simply trying to sell his film to a newer generation, but it's funny how much money he makes out of it) he goes and ruins his already excellent films. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't opposed to all the changes he made, while some may seem small they did tie in nicely together, but if these is one thing I'm glad for it's that he can't re-release his films yet again.

If lucas wanted to make the original trilogy more appealing to the younger generation, he probably should have improved the saber rotoscoping rather then adding completely pointless scenes and clumsy edits. Jabba's Palace scenes in Ep. 6 dragged on longer then needed and he should have also removed Jar Jar Binks from the prequels. Although I did agree with some minor edits which made more sense:

- Digitizing Yoda in Ep. 1

- Removing the retarded song at the end of Ep. 6.

- Adding Christensen at the end of Ep. 6

So Luke and this characters will not be in the new films no?

Apparently not. However it is only rumors at this stage.

I would have to watch them in order to gauge. But again, he didn't direct Episode 5 or Episode 6, and only even shared a script writing role in one of those two. Since the entire premise of this thread is Star Wars, I stuck to that. Even Indiana Jones, that was Spielberg. With Lucas helping with the overall story.

I never discredited what he has done for the industry. He was the founder of LucasFilm after all, and even THX (Sound, not movie). I discredited his (script) writing and directing talent. The man is an amazing special effects artist when he wants to be. Lets face it, Star Wars is known for its special effects. I dare say it was the main contributing factor to its huge success in its day. From what you describe of the movies you listed, all of these share a common denominator of his: Special Effects. You see his special effects shine in every movie of his. Even most recent, Red Tails, which was also terribly written/directed.

Even the Wiki article for THX 1138 leaves me to question whether or not it had the best of writing/directing. Having cost the distributors more than it made in revenue, with mixed reviews. I'll give you American Graffiti, it looks to have done a lot better, excluding production drama.

Lucas was Executive Producer for Indiana Jones, which is still important, but also why I left it out in my examples - because he didn't direct it.

And yes, special effects are a trademark of his from the Star Wars series, but the main thing that made THX important to cinema were the unorthodox shots he used. He experimented a lot. And I wouldn't go as far as saying that the special effects carried Star Wars, or Episodes 1,2,3 would be the superior ones as their special effects were a lot better. And even then, how you use special effects are up to the director.

I'm all for saying he's fucked up now and gone down a path he's quoted saying provides stale cinema in the past, but to discredit what he has done based on that is a bit much. He's a shitty director now, but he was a brilliant one in the past.

Also because he can and you can't:

http://www.movies.co...rady-ranch/7883

Neighbors object to anything. They always assume the absolute worst in proposals and complain about how it all is 'going' to affect them. Its almost always noise and privacy related under ridiculous grounds and then usually later deny any selfishness when they want to build something. A fully featured movie studio perhaps may be overstepping the line but I would at least want to see the plans before deciding.

So Luke and this characters will not be in the new films no?

There will be new actors no?

Entertainment Weekly's Geoff Boucher is reporting the following surprising rumor about Ford and the new Star Wars trilogy:

Harrison Ford is open to the idea of bringing Han Solo back to life on the [screen in 2015, according to sources close to the just-announced Star Wars sequel, but don’t be surprised if his contract includes a mandatory death scene for the sly old space smuggler.

“Harrison is open to the idea of doing the movie and he’s upbeat about it, all three of them are,” said one highly placed source, referring to Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher, the trio that made a hyper- jump to global fame on May 25, 1977, the opening night for George Lucas’s original Star Wars film.

As you may recall, Ford said in a 2010 interview that "I thought [Han Solo] should have died in the last one to give it some bottom ... George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys."

If this new rumor is indeed true, it would represent a major puzzle piece falling into place for the sequel trilogy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived